Even worse, to end the night, I drank a lot more than I should have at Fallout. The Ms. Fallout pageant wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be, but free shots may have had something to do with that. NEVER AGAIN. Paid for it in the morning, though an epic brunch at River City left me feeling a little better. Chicken sandwich + sausage gravy = THE WIN.
Later than night I road warriored up to JAXX for the Amorphis/Samael/Virgin Black show. Amorphis, like Samael, have gone progressively softer with each studio release, though they nailed all their older material. I was really impressed, especially since the vocalist lost his voice and couldn't talk at all in between songs. Compared to the Paradise Lost show I went to months ago, who sang all their old death stuff in new clean vocals, I have to give it up to Amorphis to staying true to their roots and leaving it all out there. Before them, Samael FUCKING KILLED IT. So much energy. So much strobe lighting. Everything sounded nice and evil, without ever venturing into Rammstein territory. Also got the best reception from the crowd, and was definitely warranted. Really glad I got a chance to see them play, since they never tour America.
Virgin Black was...good. They always sound tight, and I'm kind of in love with their guitarist Samantha, who is probably the tiniest, most barefoot person ever:

Anyway. After the Amorphis set, I went to buy a Virgin Black poster, and the merch guy pointed behind me cause the singer Rowan was just hanging out. I never really geek out over things like pictures or autographs of "famous" people, but I went over to him with a thumbs up and an "appreciate you guys coming back to America" (Virgin Black being an Australian band). Instead of a quick "hey thanks," I instead got a twisted "huh?" expression, followed by a look of disgust. Well fuck you pal. Your new black metal scream sucks, and I could beat you up.
...
This was all followed by a quick stop at home to see my mom, which is always pretty draining. Every trip she seems farther and farther away. We've never really "gotten" each other, and our conversations all tend to fall along the "why don't you do this" or "you shouldn't do this" line. Ah well. I'll probably delete this later. The good that came out of all this is I aquired an old red flannel hoodie from my parents' house, which may or may not have recently found itself in the possession of someone else.
And to end the post proper, DOOM.
1 comment:
That hoodie is my new favorite, btw.
And since you didn't, I am totally blogging about Cafe Diem. ;) So there. ;)
-B
Post a Comment