Conducted with John Gossard, guitarist and vocalist from the black metal band Weakling. These guys (and girl) put out one mindblowing album and split up before it was released.
Interesting read. The actual ezine's site seems to be down, but I found another blog with the transcript. Check it.
Here's an excerpt:
"when you play music and do vocals at the same time, it’s much more bewildering – especially those vocals. My objective was not to think; to be visceral and to touch the darkest thing I could touch. It’s ridiculous, and it’s something few people are going to try and do, because you look like a fucking idiot."
This is the best thing I have ever read.
In other news, I believe I am going to start taking guitar lessons again. Black metal, here I come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I like this. So, here's my plan: By the time you learn to "play" the guitar competently I'll be finishing law school and probably be ready to take a year off to join a band and go on tour as your lead singer.
Now, I know that a lot of the people who play the "music" you listen to are really good singers, and I respect that. However, I could get by with alternately screaming, speaking in baritone voice, and singing in a novelty falsetto right? That wouldn't be unheard of would it?
My fundamental appeal- what I could bring to the band, would be what the doctors call "stage presence". My outfit would be something along the lines of knee-high alligator skin cowboy boots, a jock strap, a wife-beater, and native american war paint. People would mortgage their children to buy tickets to see that. Think about it.
I am impressed at the accurate impression you have of what a black metal band is comprised of. However, you are stout, hairy, and have a corporate haircut. I'm afraid the best I could do for you would be to offer the position of drummer, or perhaps bassist.
Post a Comment